The Byzantine icon of the Holy Trinity written by Andrei Rublev (ca 1370 – 1430) is comprised of three Angels arranged around a table. The negative space between the Angels creates the outline of a chalice. Each of the Angels wears a robe that is a specific symbolic color representation. The Angel robed in blue, the symbol of divinity, represents God the Father. The Angel robed in red, the symbol of earthliness, represents Jesus on earth. The Angel robed in green, the symbol of youthfulness, represents the Holy Spirit.
In this modern interpretation of the Holy Trinity icon, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are represented by interwoven wings rather than Angels. Similar to the symbology of the Rublev icon, the wings are colored in blue, red and green. In addition, the wings are accented with gold, silver and copper leaf to further deepen the symbolism.
The tri-circle composition was intentional for two primary reasons. First, the negative space between the circles creates the outline of the chalice as seen in the Rublev icon. Second, this icon is a companion to the First Nations icon painted by Butch Dixon located above the doors to the small chapel on the right side aisle of the church. Written in a similar size, scale, and tri-circle layout, this modern Holy Trinity icon balances the imagery around the central altar.
Materials used are Acrylic paint, Swarovski Crystals, gold, silver and copper leaf on wood panel.
This icon was created by Darcy Garneau, a parishioner of St. John's, and gifted to the parish in 2020. It hangs in the archway above the entrance to the church from the parish house.