1.04 Email Etiquette
- Make the subject line as clear as possible.
- READ IT BEFORE YOU SEND IT.
- Avoid overly complicated emails. Shorter is better. One subject/ask is ideal. If there are 2 items, send a second message.
- Action should be for one person only unless you expect everyone receiving the email to do something simultaneously.
- Read your email assuming it’s going public. Are you okay with that?
- Check email addresses - watch for bounced emails. Don’t assume someone has received an important email unless you have checked.
- If you feel something is unclear pick up the phone. Don’t try to clarify with an email.
- Some things are better in person. Confirm with an email.
- If it’s an official email going externally, talk it through with someone else.
- Never email when you are tired or angry.
- Reply to an email to acknowledge receipt - just “received” is sufficient.