The Parish of St. John the Divine, Victoria invites you to a Parish and Community Conference
“Singing a New Song: Creating a Renewed Relationship with First Nations”
Dates: Friday, April 26, 2013, 7:30 to 10:00 p.m. and Saturday, April 27, 2013, 10:00 am to 3:30 pm
Where: St. John’s Church Hall, 925 Balmoral Street, Victoria
Keynote Speakers and Commentators include:
- John Borrows (Robins Chair in Law, Public Policy and Society, School of Law, University of Minnesota, Chippewas of Nawash, Anishinaabe First Nation)
- Glen Coulthard, (Assistant Professor of Indigenous Studies and Political Science, University of British Columbia, Yellowknives Dene First Nation) speaking on “Past and Present: the First Nations Quest for Justice in Canada”
- Robert Morales (Lead Negotiator, Hul’qumi’num Treaty Group and Aboriginal and Human Rights Lawyer, Cowichan Tribes)
- Heidi Kiiwetinepinesik Stark, (Assistant Professor of Political Science, University of Victoria,Turtle Mountain Anishinaabe) speaking on “Making the Case for Justice for First Nations: Using International Human Rights Law”
- Val Napoleon, (Law Foundation Chair of Aboriginal Justice, University of Victoria, Saulteau First Nation and Gitxsan First Nation (adopted)) speaking on “Recovering Indigenous Legal Systems and Governance”
- Ana Maria Peredo, Professor, Faculty of Business and Director, Centre for Co-operative Based Economy (CCBE), University of Victoria speaking on “Community Building and Economies in First Nations”
Tickets: $15.00 (including Sat. lunch) available from Church Office 250-383-7169.
Subsidies available upon request. For further information contact the Rev’d Dr. Larry Scyner, Priest-in-Charge.
|Tuesday April 23||Wednesday April 24||Thursday April 25||Friday April 26|
|Listen Download MP3||Listen Download MP3||Thursday April 25||Friday April 26|